Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Great Day

Today was a great day. The garden is made ready for the city tiller (one gentleman who drives around town on his tractor and tills every one's garden). All the dead plants from last year are cleaned up and it has finally stopped snowing (I hope), so it is time to plant. I always love this season of planning and hoping and praying for rain and for warm weather. The anticipation is almost too much.

The mail was great today also. Received the new issue of Mary Jane's Farm and Hobby Farm Home. The house in CT needs to sell so we can buy some acres out here. The market is still pretty bad so am not anticipating a sale anytime soon. Anyway, at some point it will sell. Then we have big plans for fruit trees, raspberries, asparagus, etc. All the things that take a while to get established. I am trying to talk Dan into letting me have some chickens. Maybe by the time the house sells he will be worn down enough to acquiesce. Bees are also something to think about.

School is finally over for Chris and I. He received his Bachelor's degree and I finally finished my Associates through an on-line program out of Iowa. One class still has to post the grades but I'm sure it is not a problem.  Sam graduates on May 30th, then registers for college, then goes to China for two weeks. What fun.

Today the lawn got finished mowing. My little neighbor lady, (she is 83 and rakes every day and has a garden thinks I am crazy), I purchased a push mower (like Grandpa Schaffner had in town), with the rotating blades, no gas and no electric, just human push power.  She is wondering why anyone would make mowing the yard so difficult.  She is cute. I would like to find one with a larger cutting width at some point, maybe at an auction this summer. Saves time not going to the gym, a natural work-out. Planted some annuals today in some pots, they are so colorful.

Rhubarb is ready. When we were kids we would go to the garden with a container of sugar, dip the rhubarb and eat it. Now that sounds disgusting although I still love rhubarb. We have three plants which came with the house which is way to much for us. Hopefully I can pawn some off at church on Sunday.

On the knitting front I am finishing a washcloth and one sock this week. Also am finishing my second weaving project. That is great plenty for one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment